7900 Euclid-Chardon Road, Kirtland
ANNUAL RECREATION EVENTS
Egg Hunt –CANCELLED FOR 2020
*NEW LOCATION & FORMAT*
- For children 10 and under; hunt areas are separated by ages.
- Kids bring baskets to collect eggs in.
- Prize awarded to the finder of the golden egg!
- Hunt held outdoors at Kirtland City Hall on the front lawn.
- Get photos with the Easter Bunny in the gazebo.
- Eb the Big Bubble Guy joins in the fun on the Gazebo Green.
- Games and a craft at the Kirtland Public Library indoors.
- CANCELLED — TUES, APRIL 7, 2020 at 5:30 – 6:30
- Hunt starts promptly at 5:30!
- Rain date alternative – WED, APRIL 8
- **Updates posted on City of Kirtland Facebook page.**
Babysitting Basics — cancelled/postponed
- Typically held in April or early May, once per year
- Taught by Wendy Bak and the Kirtland Fire Department
- Geared toward the first time babysitter in fifth or sixth grade
- Cancelled/postponed — SAT. MAY 2 from 8:30-11:30
- $25 due 4/23
- Class covers the business aspects of babysitting, age appropriate activities, and staying safe while in charge of children or younger siblings.
- The Kirtland Fire Department teaches basic first aid, Heimlich maneuver, injury preventions, and what to do in emergency situations.
- Registration form – Babysitting Basics 2020
Safety Town– cancelled/postponed
- Typically held the week after Kirtland school year ends.
- For children entering First grade and Kindergarten in the fall.
- Held Monday through Thursday from 9:00-11:30 a.m. at Kirtland Community Center.
- Safety Town is a national safety awareness program designed to teach children how to prevent accidents and how to react in dangerous situations.
- Visits from Kirtland Police and Fire Departments.
- Ride a school bus for the first time and learn emergency exits. Travel to Chapin Forest/Hobart Road and learn water, playground, and forest safety.
- Registration starts in April.
- cancelled/postponed–June 8-11, 2020. $32
- Registration Form -SAFETY TOWN
Junior Olympics– cancelled/postponed
- Typically held the week after Father’s Day.
- For children ages 6-11.
- Athletes learn the basics of track and field.
- Athletes practice Monday through Wednesday and participate in the track meet on Thursday.
- Held 8:30-10:00 at the Kirtland High School Track.
- Cost is $12 per athlete.
- cancelled/postponed – June 15-18, 2020.
- Registration Form – Junior Olympics
- Typically held the first Friday in October, 11:30-1:00.
- For children preschool aged and younger.
- Kids dress in costume, trick or treat on outdoor independent path, have a snack inside, make a trick or treat bag, games, and activities.
- Held indoors and outdoors at Kirtland Community Center.
Santa on a Firetruck
- Typically held second Saturday in December.
- For children who believe in Santa!
- Watch Santa parade down Route 306 on a Kirtland Fire truck! Parade steps off from Kirtland High School at 11:30 and ends at City Hall.
- Join the Big Guy at City Hall, snap a picture, and grab popcorn and hot cocoa!
- Free face painting at City Hall.
- Stop by the Kirtland Public Library and make a holiday craft.
- Area businesses are invited to participate and do something fun! Contact the Community Center.
KIRTLAND YOUTH SPORTS LEAGUES
Within the City of Kirtland there are four youth sports leagues. These leagues are run and managed by independent boards for each sport and include softball/baseball, basketball, football/cheerleading, and soccer. The City of Kirtland is responsible for the operation of the fields at Recreation Park and the Community Center. The City maintains the fields and makes improvements to these facilities so that playing quality is sufficient.
For specific questions and registration of all sports, visit the Kirtland Youth Sports link at www.kirtlandyouthsports.com.
Co-Ed Adult Open Gym –cancelled
Are you looking to get on the basketball court for some non-competitive fun? This is the place! Get off the couch and get on the court! The Community Center offers co-ed, adult open gyms for basketball. This is a drop-in activity and registration is not required. Participants are asked to bring a light and a dark shirt for play. Special shoes are not required.
- Mondays 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. FREE
- Runs Monday after Labor Day to Monday before Memorial Day
- Cancelled – day before Election Day, Veteran’s Day, and President’s Day
- For Adults 30 and over
- Held at Kirtland Community Center
- Contact KCC for more information
Family Martial Arts — Cancelled
Study the martial arts history of Korea comprised of Asian fighting arts, body conditioning techniques, traditional weapons training, and mental development. Class includes rolling and acrobatics, meditation, hand/foot striking and blocking, forms training, and self-defense. Students can work towards earning a belt and promotions after joining the World Kuk Sool Association. Instructor: David Pritts, Second Degree black belt, student of Kuk Sool Won.
- Mondays 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- For ages 5 through adult
- Cost: $75 per session for adults, $50 per session for kids 8 & under, $15 drop-in
- Held at Kirtland Community Center
- Contact KCC for current session dates
Kirtland Yoga with Amy Alexy–Cancelled
- Join Amy for yoga, self-care, and release! Students mindfully link breath to the poses, creating a meditation in movement.
- Class is idea for all levels, with modifications provided.
- Amy Alexy is a 500-hour registered yoga teacher and has been practicing yoga for over a decade.
- Classes held at the Kirtland Community Center
- cancelled–Thursday evenings from 6:15-7:30 Feb. 27 – April 9.
- cancelled–Monday evenings from 6:15-7:30 April 13 – June 1.
- $84 per session or $15 per class drop-in
Registration is taken on a first-come, first-served basis. Fees are required at time of registration. To sign up for a class, complete the registration form and return it to the Kirtland Community Center (7900 Euclid-Chardon Road) with full payment. Registration may be mailed in or dropped off. An after-hours deposit box is located outside of the front door to collect registration and payment when the office is closed. Participants are considered enrolled when payment has been received. Class prices are not prorated.
Make checks payable to: The City of Kirtland.Download the Registration Form
In case of class cancellation, participants are notified and mailed a full refund in the form of a check. There are no cash refunds. Refunds take approximately 2-3 weeks to process. Refunds are issued only when the Recreation Department cancels the program. Participants assume the risk of changes in personal affairs or health and refunds are not granted when the participant cancels. The Recreation Department reserves the right to cancel classes due to low enrollment and/or unforeseen circumstances.
SHARE YOUR TALENTS – TEACH A CLASS!
The Community Center is continually looking for people like you to teach classes or chaperone activities that are offered to the community. Whatever your talent, skill, or knowledge is, contact the office to discuss your ideas and set up your activity!
The City continues to offer reduced pool pass pricing with the City of Willoughby. The City of Kirtland will subsidize the difference between the resident and the non-resident rates for the Willoughby pool pass program for Kirtland residents who wish to use the Willoughby swimming pools for the 2020 season. Residents should purchase the pool passes directly from Willoughby (proof of residency is required).
For current rates, please contact the city of Willoughby: 440-953-4200.
We value your input. If you have a suggestion for a class or other recreation activity, please let us know. We look forward to hearing from you!